Sunday, March 1, 2009

My, oh my...


















As I write this, I am on Green Turtle Cay laying by the pool and being kissed by the sun while listening to birds chirp, chickens cluck and dogs bark. It is wonderful. Everywhere we have been since my last update has been remarkable, so I will remark!

We left Old Bahama Bay with a caravan of other boats headed to the uninhabited island of Great Sale Cay. It was really comforting to travel with others and keep an eye out for one another, especially for our first passage through the shallow waters here. From sunrise to sunset we motor-sailed east and found a safe anchorage to rest overnight. The next morning we rose early and headed to Allans-Pensacola. Along the way, a pod of dolphins swam along right under the bow in water so clear you could look them in the eye! I think I saw one wink at me :) We arrived with plenty of daylight left and went to shore to explore one of the island's white sand beaches. Our dinghy has proven itself very reliable. We can anchor the sailboat, hop in the dinghy and motor around to each island, so there is no piece of land beyond our reach. The waters here are lime-colored and we're able to see the grasses, huge starfish and stingrays on the bottom in 20 feet of water!

Sailing down the Sea of Abaco we decided to stop by Spanish Cay. I love Spanish Cay! The guys (Richard and Terry) that run this place rock. The island itself is three miles long, gorgeous, and has one road that runs from end to end that I ran and ran. Our first night there we went to the bar; I had the best grouper I have ever tasted and we partied with our new friends. Spanish Cay actually has its own radio station (102.5-which we have been listening to). I made a request for Barefoot Man because we are going to a concert on Great Guana on March 6th. Terry hooked it up with a little shout out to Tranquility! We are popular and on the radio! It was our first night hanging out with cool, young people. I am finding that really awesome individuals are in every nook and cranny of the earth. We decided to stay another day and enjoy the laid back island life.

Now, the downer. I dropped my cell phone in the water at Spanish Cay! I was jumping from the boat to the dock (my least favorite thing to do) and bloop! away she went. So that means no more occasional text messages to my loved ones and I am totally bummed. The only thing I can figure is that the Universe is trying to tell me to fully be where I am and let go. I will try. But I did make Chip snorkel down and get it (by that time I had dropped my boat key as well-oops!) with hopes of saving my SIM card. Not two minutes after he came up a shark swam by the boat to check out the commotion. That was the first time either of us had seen a shark in the wild. Since then, we have seen five or six nurse and lemon sharks. Needless to say, I have not been snorkeling yet. I'm working up my courage day by day.

The second day at Spanish Cay we hung out by the pool, I took a long run with Chili-dog and we listened to Terry jam on his guitar before talking into the wee hours with the guys. We seriously considered staying another day and going to a fish fry in Cooperstown but didn't want to wear out our welcome. I have a feeling we may be developing cabin fever where we pounce on people at shore and make them talk to and hang out with us! We're like, "Oooh, look, other people! Let's go talk!"

So, we left Wednesday for the quiet island of Manjack Cay. It was our first great sail of the Bahamas. On a beam reach we averaged over six knots the whole way! We heard that there were nature trails all throughout Manjack and I was dying to take a look. We found the rocky, rooted path on the second day. With a picnic lunch in tow, we walked from the harbor beach northeast through the thick to the Atlantic Ocean. I have missed the smell of wet earth! Somewhere in the middle of the forested part I stopped to have a moment in silence and realized that I haven't smelled rich, dark dirt in a long time. Ah, it was good. Upon making it to the end of the beach trail, we were amazed at the vast unspoiled splendor of the open Atlantic. So far, it's the most striking beach I have ever laid eyes on. It just makes you stop in wonder at the beauty of the world. Also, since I'm on this topic, I must mention the stars. Light pollution is almost nonexistent and the heavens in these parts are bursting with stars to blow your mind. We have a couple of Stellar Scopes we're going to break out and learn the constellations.

Today we came to the resort at Green Turtle Cay to power up the boat, get Internet access, and once again join civilization for a few days. We know people here just from our travels thus far and seem to make solid friends everywhere we go. This is the most populated, happening island in the Abacos we have yet been to and I'm looking forward to wandering around the villages and shops here. Souvenirs, anyone?
-Caitlin

2 comments:

Shawna said...

Caitlin, I am so happy to hear all is going good (minus the few setbacks along the way)!! I just love reading your stories about your adventure & the pictures are awesome! Love you & miss you lots! You guys stay safe!
XOXO

bfree9090 said...

Marcia and Bernie from Spanish are happy to hear you made it safely to Green Turtle. Let us know when you safely round Whale Kay.