Thursday, June 11, 2009

We made it!















We are back in the States, safe and sound. The crossing of the Gulf Stream was easy as a wink this time around. Conditions were favorable for motor/sailing as there was little wind and we made excellent time. What a relief! I had mentally prepared myself for a drawn-out ordeal but we were docked in Palm Beach within twelve hours of our departure from Old Bahama Bay. Good old Tranquility held it together and got us back to our homeland!

I am sitting at an Internet cafe in Fernandina Beach writing this in the early morning. I don't have much time; we're getting ready to shove off on the last leg of this journey. We have motored up the ICW the whole length of Florida (and it is loooong) because of northerly winds and storms offshore. Now it seems fine to head out into the deep blue ocean and really cover some ground. So, for the next three or four days we will be putting in very long hours while the sun is shining and coming back inshore to anchor at night.

I just wanted to let you all know that we are fine. Here are some pictures I have taken of our arrival in the States, moving up the Intracoastal Waterway and St. Augustine (we took a breather in that lovely city for a couple of days). I will be making one more post from Charleston to wrap up with some final thoughts. America- I love you!!!

3 comments:

Keith Pointer said...

Congrats on a great trip, I found your blog when looking for Ken Liddiard who I sailed with 35 years ago and would really like to contact again, do you have contact details? Keith.

Chip said...

I think I do have his information somewhere. I'm in the process of unpacking the boat and will let you know if I come across anything. Ken is such a neat guy! -Caitlin

Unknown said...

Glad you made it back alright. Looks like it was amazing; truly something to strive for. Great pictures too! Hope to see you all once you're back in Charleston. Take care. --Taylor